For a while I’ve been wanting a more capable Internet Enabled RC car, something that could go outside. Well, I finally got working the Wild Thumper I got a few weeks ago.
This is still very much a prototype
I initial tried controlling the motors with 3 L298Ns for each of the wheel pairs, but they overheated. So I tried a couple of other motor controllers, the ones that did the trick are a couple of BTS7960s.
Rated for high current, heating is simply not an issue
I ported the Nosy Monster code to work with them, and I improved several things, mostly around smoothing controls. You can’t just start these motors are full power, you need you ramp up and down. This is to be mechanically gentle on the motors, but it also helps with piloting.
We’re figuring out the wifi range around the house, it’s worst than I thought, well, for live streaming video at least.
Iterating on a case for the electronics
The suspensions are excellent, the motors could be beefier
More to come…