Crutch Guitar

That’s right, crutch guitar. I got swept into the world of cigar box guitars trying to make Robin’s broken leg somewhat fun.





The bridge

On the back I added some metal nuts to act as washers so the string ends wouldn’t eat into the plastic.

The head could be adjusted a little but it’s good enough to play with the concept.

It sounds and works a lot better than I thought it would. And Robin’s way into it. Although I underestimated how hard it would be to play it without frets. It’s very much a different cat, people online make it look easy :).

Procrastinated Planning

Driven by necessity, I finalized the plan for construction 2022. I struggled pretty hard on this one, because I tried to figure out many ways to gain half a floor, and I had to think hard about snow management. Ultimately I ended up keeping it to just 1 floor because I do NOT want to mess with the existing tin roof. In Vermont currently contractors are impossible to get, let alone roofers who are notoriously difficult to begin with (and rightfully so). So it was always the plan that I’ll be doing the tin myself, and because of that, I really cannot mess with the existing roof. So this addition has an independent roof line which does not at all integrate with the existing one.

There were a couple of challenges to solve but in the end, it’s a pretty straightforward build. Nicole is getting a whole 12’x16′ all to herself to accommodate all the projects she’s spearheading on the homestead.

PlottyBot is born

Years in the making, many prototypes, and I hope a software stack which brings novelty and ease of use to the world of pen plotting. It’s been a marathon building the final version and documenting the process carefully. I’m too pooped to say anything more about it for now.

Instructions here